These paprika and mozzarella sausage rolls are simply delicious. They are most definitely a special treat and not something we make regularly but they are an absolute delight. They can be used a snack, starter or even as a main dish with some lovely salad on the side.
- 1 x Whole Pepper (red or yellow) cut into small cubes
- 4 x Sausages of your choice (we like Sainsbury’s Taste The Difference Outdoor bred Cumberland Sausages)
- 1 x Tablespoon of Paprika
- 150g Mozzarella cut into small pieces
- 1 x 320g Ready to use puff pastry sheet (we like Jus-Rol’s Puff Pastry Ready Rolled Sheet)
- 2 x Tablespoons of red pesto
- 1 x Tablespoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 x Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 x Egg Mix
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the olive oil into a pan and heat up gently. Add the cubes of whole fresh pepper and stir for a few minutes until tender.
- Place peppers into a separate bowl for mixing with the other ingredients.
- Cut the end of each sausage and squeeze out the sausage meat into the mixing bowl with the peppers.
- Add the paprika and ground black pepper.
- Add the mozzarella.
- Add the red pesto.
- Mix all the ingredients together in the mixing bowl and set aside.
- Take your pastry sheet and lay it on a flat service. Take your sausage mix and lay in the middle of your pastry sheet all the way along the length of the piece. You want to leave a equal distance on either side of the pastry mix.
- Note: The sausage rolls made in the video above were pretty large and used the whole puff pastry sheet. You can opt to make more bite-size rolls by simply cutting the sheet in half and using half the meat mixture for each side.
- Take your egg mix and spread some lightly along the edges of your puff pastry sheet.
- Take on side of the puff pastry and roll it over the sausage mix to join the other. Make sure the two sides are properly sealed. You can take a fork and press into the two folds to make sure they are sealed.
- Take the your egg mix and spread it over the puff pastry. Make sure you cover the whole surface.
- Use a large knife to slice the puff pastry into 9 sections. Place each one onto an oven tray lined with baking paper.
- Place in the oven for 45 minutes (they should come out a nice golden brown).